Object

This publication is protected and can be accessed only from certain IPs.
This publication is protected and can be accessed only from certain IPs.

Title: [A square between buildings] [An iconographic document]

Creator:

[Bogdanowicz, Mikołaj]

Date issued/created:

[ca 1914-1918]

Resource Type:

Photography

Description:

The photograph shows a large square between buildings. On the left side you can see a low, brick and wooden barrack and a storage of various equipment. At the end of this barrack stands a little taller brick building. On the right side and in the middle of the photo, closing a view there is a tall, multi-story, brick building. On the foreground the photo shows a wooden structure resembling a track, but with crossed beams. This construction ends by a brash. On the left side of this rubbish there are two single-axle, two-wheeled carts (in the Polish Army called “biedka” = something like “poverty”) ; The author of the photograph was the father of the photo owner. He was an engineer - building roads and bridges (a specialization in the former KK Austria), Mikołaj Bogdanowicz. During the 1st World War, as a native of Galicia, he was appointed to the Austrian army. In this army he was the commander of three companies of engineers, one of whom was Jewish company. The area of its operation was Volhynia and partially Podolia, where during many months of "stopping" of the front he was building trenches, roads, bridges, etc. ; the period of 1st World War, Podolia, now Ukraine ; The photo sent to the contest named “Photography of the Polish village pre-1948” organized in 1983 by the quarterly “Fotografia” (Photography) and the weekly “Nowa Wieś” (New village). Copy of the photo kept at the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences (former Institute for the History of Material Culture)

Format:

application/pdf

Resource Identifier:

oai:rcin.org.pl:45837

Source:

IAiE PAN, call no. 233A-185

Rights:

Rights Reserved - Restricted Access

Terms of use:

Copyright-protected material. Access only on terminals at the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, may be used within the limits of statutory user freedoms.

Digitizing institution:

Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences

Original in:

Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences

Projects co-financed by:

Programme Innovative Economy, 2010-2014, Priority Axis 2. R&D infrastructure ; European Union. European Regional Development Fund