Place of publishing:
Type of object:
Subject and Keywords:
Daily food consumption of the Red-backed Shrike averaged 56% of the mean body weight for nestlings and 50% for fledglings Gross energy intake was 15.9 kcall/ nestling/ day, and 22.8 kcal/ fledgling/ day. Average daily metabolic rate was 8.4 kcal/nestling/day and 14.9 kcal/ fledgling/day. Food consumption and metabolic rate were largely affected by the ambient temperature. Amount of food consumed by young birds until a month of age in the Red-backed Shrike population was 3.5 mg fresh weight of insects per day per m2.
1. Boni, A. 1942 - Uber die Entwicklung der Temperaturregulation der verschiedenen Nesthockern - Schweiz. Arch. Ornith. 2:1-58.
2. Diehl, B. 1971 - Population size and production of fledglings in the Red-backed Shrike (Lanius collurio L.) under changing habitat conditions - Zeszyty Naukowe ZE.
3. Diehl, B., Kurowski, S. and Myrcha, A. (in press) - Changes in the body composition and caloric value of nestling Red-backed Shrike (Lanius collurio L.) - Bull. Acad. Pol, Sci, Cl. II.
4. Diehl, B., and Myrcha, A. (in press) - Bioenergetics of the nestling Red-backed Shrike (Lanius collurio L.) – Condor.
5. Gibb, J.A. 1957 - Food requirements and other observations on captive tits - Bird Study, 4: 207-215.
6. Irving, L. and Krog, J. 1956 - Temperature during the development of birds in arctic nests - Physiol. Zool. 29: 195-205.
7. Korodi Gal, J. 1969 - Beitrage zur Kenntnis der Brutbiologie und Brutnahrung der Neuntoter (Lanius collurio L.) - Zool. Abh. Mus. Tierk. Dresden, 30: 57-82.
8. Lack, D. 1954 - The natural regulation of animal numbers - Oxford, 343 pp.
9. Lasiewski, R.C. and Dawson W.R. 1967 - A re-examination of the relation between standart metabolic rate and body weight in birds - Condor, 69: 13-23.
10. Mertens, J.A.L. 1969 - The influence of brood size on energy metabolism and water loss of nestling Great Tits Parus major major - Ibis, 111: 11-16.
11. Munster, W. 1958 - Der Neuntoter oder Rotruckenwurger - Neue Brehm Bucherei, 218: 74 pp.
12. Royama, T. 1966 - Factors governing feeding rate, food requirement and brood size of nestling Great Tits Parus major - Ibis, 108: 313-347.
Detailed Resource Type:
Language of abstract:
Projects co-financed by:
Operational Program Digital Poland, 2014-2020, Measure 2.3: Digital accessibility and usefulness of public sector information; funds from the European Regional Development Fund and national co-financing from the state budget.